The Urban Community Empowerment Training

Sustainable Efforts towards Community Self-Reliance

BALIFOKUS attended the training of Program Nasional Pemberdayaan Masyarakat Mandiri Perkotaan (PNPM MP) or The National Program of Urban Communities Empowerment, held on March 31, 2011 at Sanur. The attendees are about 15 participants consisting of Badan Keswadayaan Masyarakat (BKM) or The Community Self-Reliance Agency and community leaders. They came from Sanur village area (Sanur Kauh and Sanur Kaja) and Renon Denpasar area. The training was organized by Dinas Pekerjaan Umum (PU) or The Department of Public Works as the leading sector of the PNPM MP and the one is managed by the Satuan Kerja Pembangunan Infrastruktur Permukiman (Satker PIP) or The Housing Infrastructure Development Unit.

The training discussed the Economic Development, Partnership/Channeling, and Participatory Planning. Regarding to the Partnership/Channeling theme, BALIFOKUS delivered the experiences related to community development and empowerment fields as well as the activities of BALIFOKUS programs. The information of the programs as delivered by I Dewa Alit Setiarsa (BALIFOKUS Program Manager) is expected to be connected with or in the future can be developed by the PNPM MP. For instance, composting processes for organic wastes and other waste managements that are suitable designated in urban areas.

Figure: Dewa Alit Setiarsa from BALIFOKUS presented the organization activities and programs as description of an example of community empowerment

The participants also actively discussed about the waste management such as the effective management of municipal waste management. I Dewa Alit Setiarsa as a key person then delivered response to this question that the waste management cannot be handled thoroughly and based on the experience of Kita Pro Sampah (KIPRAH) Program in BALIFOKUS, waste management can effectively cope about 70% at the scope of Tempat Pengolahan Sampah Terpadu (TPST) or The Integrated Waste Facilities and the rest is about 30% residue disposed to landfill. Therefore, this effort can reduce the burden of the waste volume in the landfill as well as the landfill is already very limited to the land expansion.

In general the government program of the PNPM MP began in 2008 and BALIFOKUS has participated in the training related to this program at the local level. With more or less the same discussion in the Partnership/Channeling theme, BALIFOKUS attended at the previous training in Pemogan area in Denpasar, conducted in March 2011. This training eventually brought a positive response that occurred from women groups. They interested to be facilitated by BALIFOKUS in plastic recycling activities in connection with KIPRAH Program. This corresponds to a program activity that has been implemented by the PNPM MP in the development of strengthening of the institutional capacity, such as providing skills courses for women.

This training altogether can be a positive way for all those who directly involved in community empowerment field. Each of the different institutions components can share experiences with others and build opportunities for collaboration in order to enhance capacity of the community.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags